Bankfoot House – Glass House Mountains

Bankfoot House – Glass House Mountains

0 922

Bankfoot House – Glass House Mountains :  Open on the last Sunday of the month from 10 am to 3 pm, in the Bankfoot House Heritage Precinct, 1998 Old Gympie Road, Glass House Mountains.

Bankfoot House is 3 km southwest of the Glass House Mountains township in the hinterland of Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

The present house faces Old Gympie Road, just as the original Bankfoot House faced the “new” Gympie Road back in 1868.

It was built when gold was first discovered in Gympie in October 1867.  The original house was constructed in 1868 to service the steady stream of individuals and coach traffic heading north to the Gympie gold fields.  The accommodation house was extended in 1878 to provide separate family living quarters.  The original 1868 house was dismantled in 1930 and the separate family living quarters were expanded into the present day house.  The core of the current house therefore dates back to 1878.

Bankfoot House was built by William Grigor, a Scot who emigrated to Australia in 1855.  In 1863 William married a Scottish lass, Mary Fenwick.  The couple, with their growing family, moved to the Glass House Mountains from Mooloolah in 1868.  Bankfoot House was named after the town of Bankfoot in Perthshire, Scotland, where Mary was born.

Friends of Bankfoot House Inc is a volunteer community group assisting the Sunshine Coast Council to preserve this historic residence.

For further information – drop by the house or contact the Secretary, Friends of Bankfoot House Inc, PO Box 337 Glass House Mountains Qld.  4518 or email




0 632

0 445


Leave a Reply