Anglican Parish of Maleny
Anglican Parish of Maleny . Our Parish is made up of three churches: St Mary’s Montville, St George’s Maleny and St Luke’s at Kenilworth. Weddings, Baptisms & Funerals by Arrangement. Our vision is to “Love one another as Jesus loves us” and our mission is To obey Jesus’ commandment – “Love one another as I have loved you”
Welcome to the Anglican Parish of Maleny – Come as a Stranger an leave as a Friend – Click here to see their website
Address: Walkers Drive, Maleny; Telephone: 07 5499 9130 Mobile: 0428 187 625; Email: email@example.com
Saint Mary’s Church, Montville was dedicated on the 1st August 1914 by the Archdeacon of Brisbane the Venerable H.F. Le Fanu. Local Mr George Brown, a lay reader, foundational member of the church building committee and later warden was given the honour of choosing the name of the church. He chose St Mary’s perhaps because he had been a worshipper at St Mary’s in York England, his home country. The new church now named St Mary’s gave the Montville Church of England congregation a permanent home which had met in the School of Arts Hall since 1908. Dawn Barnett, George Brown’s daughter, is still a regular worshipper at St Mary’s.
The Centenary celebration in 2014 was a great success with the main event being the service for past and present Parishioners conducted by Archbishop Phillip Aspinall. The event was well supported by the Montville community and representatives of the other churches. This was followed by a delightful lunch in the Montville Memorial Hall which was decorated with memorabilia.
Saint Mary’s Church is open daily for personal prayer. Sunday Worship is held at 7:30 am and there is Meditation held at 9:30 am on Wednesday’s in the Community Hall, Montville.
Saint Georges Church, Maleny
Prior to 1931, Anglican Church services were held in what is now the Maleny Community Centre, in Maple Street. In those days the building was known as the school of Arts.
Thanks to the efforts of parishioners, enough money was raised to purchase the Soldiers’ Memorial Church at Glasshouse. The wooden building was dismantled, and transported board by board to Maleny, where it was erected on land in Bunya Street, opposite the present Primary School.
Sunday Worship is held at 9 am with the midweek Holy Eucharist at 7:30 am on Wednesdays. Also the Messy Church is held monthly on the 1st Sunday of each month between 4 pm & 6 pm.
Saint Lukes, Kenilworth
St. Lukes War Memorial Church Kenilworth was dedicated on the 19th November, 1955. For 60 years St. Luke’s church has been a focal point of a vibrant and caring community.
In 1995 a restructuring of parishes saw St. Luke’s Kenilworth become part of the Maleny parish. He completed church was consecrated by Bishop Sharp on September 6th, 1931. Reverend Kestrel Cornish was the first priest in charge. In the early 1990’s it was decided that time had come to expand the church facilities. Land was purchased at the corner of Tallowwood Street and Walker’s Drive and plans were drawn up for a new brick church, hall and rectory. The new St. Georges church was dedicated on the 5th December 1993.
Sunday Worship is held at 9 am on the 1st, 3nd & 4th Sundays of the month; at 11 am on the 3rd Sunday; and 10:30 am on the 5th Sunday.