Maleny’s Heritage Listed Places : For photographs of each place check out the attached brochures below.
Priscilla Cottage was the original home of the Bryce Family, early settlers in the district. The cottage was built in 1903 and the family lived there until the 1980’s when they donated the farm to the community for the Erwol Retirement Village. The cottages and furnishings are all original items from the family home, making this one of the few authentic displays. The second cottage is now an Art Gallery. Out buildings include farm machinery, a working steam engine and a black smith shop. Bryce Lane is off McCarthy Road as you near the Maleny township from Landsborough.
This historic house was built for Edward Lawley in the late 1890′s – early 1900 at the top of Teak Street, where Cloudwalk is today. The land was purchased from the Thomas Dixon estate in 1890. Sometime after Edward’s death in 1940 his second son Edgar (Walter’s Dad) sold the house and land on the southern side of North Maleny Road to Charles H Porter. The house was tented for many years and in 2008 was about to be demolished as part of the development. The Society rescued the house and removed it to the Historical Village where it features as Art Gallery.
Glenferna is about to be moved to the Maleny Historical Society Village, 7 Bryce Lane, Maleny. It was used as a Receiving Office for Mail from 1904 to 1912 by Edward Thynne and will be a Post Office & Schools’ Museum.
Dunlop Graves – 16 Bunya Street (outside the Primary School), Graves of Pioneers Jane Dunlop, Francis Dunlop and Margaret Hankinson.
Fairview – 15 Porters Lane. State listed heritage property owned and managed by the Caloundra City Council with the help of Friends of Pattemore House. The farmhouse was built by the Pattemore Family in 1907.
Anglican Church of St George (former) – 15 Bunya Street. Building relocated from Beerburrum, rebuilt and dedicated in 1931.
Baptist Church & Hall – 76 Maple Street – built from beech timber in 1913 and transported by bullock teams.
Maleny Bakery – 16 Maple Street – Shop built in 1932 for Mr Rees of Reesville and opened as a café, run by Mrs Walker. A bake house was later added. Today it’s Rosetta Books.
Maleny Lodge Guest House – 58 Maple Street – Constructed by Harry Bate for Alfred C K Cooke for his family of nine in 1909. It was converted to a guest house in 1930 and is used as a guest house today.
Maleny Masonic Hall – 2 Beech Street – Erected after WW1 on land donated by Francis Dunlop. Used as a veterinary clinic for many years and is now a private residence.
Mountain View Homestead – 534 Mountain View Road – House consist of 2 houses, the back house was construction circa 1915 and was the home of Joseph McCarthy. Used as a guest house and is now a private residence.
Presbyterian Church – 14 Cedar Street – Small timber church that opened in 1930 and used regularly. It’s a fine example of a small timber church in a country town.
Soldiers Memoria Hall – 1 Bunya Street – Erected in the late 1940’s and was a surplus army building in Maryborough. The building was demolished and rebuilt by RSSAILA Maleny.
Yarunga – 10 Cedar Street – Constructed in 1914 for Andy McLean and was the family home of Jack Grigor. Yarunga means “house on a hill with a view”. It’s now a medical centre.
Mary Cairncross Park – 148 Mountain View Road, Maleny. This Scenic Reserve is 55 hectares of subtropical rainforest with spectacular views overlooking the Glasshouse Mountains. It’s one of the few remnants of subtropical rainforest growing in deep basalt soils in a high rainfall area. The rainforest is home to a variety of trees and pants and has an amazing assortment of birds and animals. There’s an Education Centre with rainforest displays and conservation facilities for the Richmond Birdwing Butterfly as well as a café, playground picnic tables & barbecues, and walking tracks with viewing platforms.
Porter’s Wood – Porter’s Lane, North Maleny. Porter’s Wood is significant as a rare example of the timber that once covered the entire Blackall Ranges. Most of the vegetation had disappeared by the early 1900s following timber-getting and the establishment of the dairy industry.
Woolston Wood – Off Mary Cairncross Avenue. This patch of rainforest is an annex for Mary Cairncross Park, a wildlife corridor. There is no public access.
(Click on Brochure images to expand size)